Tuesday, November 15, 2005


BOOKS - Confessions of a Shopaholic by Sophie Kinsella (2001) 3.8 out of a rating of 5

The reason I read this book was because it is everywhere. I see people reading it on the subway, the streetcar and while they’re walking home. I see women in suits on Bay Street with it under their arms or sticking out of their briefcases. So I thought let me read it, cause I’m missing the boat or something.

Well I found this book a really great read most of the time. The writer does a good job of getting the reader into the main character Rebecca Bloomwood’s head so we can see why she does what she does. You find much humour in the main character's actions while still feeling compassion for her as her shopping addiction spirals out of control no matter how hard she tries. However, I did feel very let down near the end of the story as everything ends up being resolved a bit too easily. Not only does Rebecca save the day for a pair of older neighbours who been taken advantage of by a big bad insurance company but she also manages to get money to pay for her staggering debts and also find true love with a very rich and handsome man. (Isn’t this what we all want !!??) Okay, it can happen in the real world. But it was just little to convenient and easy for me. Even so – read the book. You’ll enjoy it even though I’ve spoilt the ending. Sorry. But it is my blog.

2 comments:

Teena in Toronto said...

I loved the Shopoholic series! Granted, they are predictable but don't we all love a happy ending? Life is so stressful sometimes so it's nice to read something light.

Anonymous said...

I haven't read the book, but I liked your summary!
Chandu